Tuesday, January 18, 2011

1970 Icelandic Language Moby-Dick

Kallio mig Ismael!

1970 Almenna Bokafelagid, publisher, cover by Torfi Jonsson

Cover: Brown /w gold lettering, 6 1/4 x 9 1/4 x 1 1/4
478 ppgs

Purchased on EBAY for $30 in 2000, this MOBY-DICK, would be one of my most prized books in the collection, and the first foreign language book I bought.

Perhaps, after buying this book I realized that this collection was actually something to behold, for each time I have opened the bookcase to visitors, I have shown them this book.

We Americans, sadly, can be a funny lot. Sometimes I get the impression that it is in seeing this book that folks realize that people in other lands actually read and read books not printed in the English Language. "Oh that is odd, Icelandic? Gezz I guess they must have books in their own language." That is the kind of response I get. With a literacy rate of almost 100%, (2010 CIA WORLD FACTBOOK), the Icelandic people are the most literate and well read people of us all.

















No comments:

Post a Comment